Diploma of Interior Design & Decoration MSF50213
The Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration offers you the key to becoming a professional Interior Designer. You will develop a high level of creative and technical skill giving you the confidence to work on a broad range of projects including residential, retail, hospitality and office design. In this course you will be exposed to the latest international design practices and be mentored by our inspiring Educators who are all practising Interior Designers themselves.
To apply for this course you’ll need Higher School Certificate or some relevant industry experience/training, we’ll discuss this in an informal interview on campus to ensure this course is your best option.
Design above and below by graduate Millie Alison.
What you’ll learn
The world’s leading Interior Designers and Decorators understand the importance of both function, aesthetic and how to make a space sing whether is be for a home or a commercial space.
You will explore colour, materials and finishes, spatial planning and construction techniques for a range of residential and commercial projects and creatively present your work using the latest industry software including AutoCAD, Sketchup, Photoshop and InDesign.
Throughout your course you will be exposed to a wide range of industry suppliers and products through our in-house seminar series and graduate with an exceptional industry focused portfolio of work ready to kick start your career as an Interior Designer.
What you’ll become
- Interior Designer in a decorating, interior design or architecture firm
- Interior Stylist
- Colour Consultant
- Real Estate Staging Consultant
- CAD and SketchUp Draftsperson
- Interiors Consultant for product, furniture and lighting suppliers/ retail store
- Entrepreneur in your own business
What you’ll cover
- Residential design subjects from the Certificate IV in Interior Decoration
- Use the latest industry software: AutoCAD, SketchUp, Adobe InDesign, Photoshop and Podium
- Develop advanced rendering, perspective drawing and professional presentation skills
- Undertake site analysis, evaluation and client briefings
- Explore advanced colour and finishes including whites, neutrals, exterior and colour for public spaces
- Design custom furniture and cabinetry for client specific interior schemes
- Design lighting layouts, plans and specifications
- Produce unique designs for a range of commercial spaces including offices, training, retail and hospitality
- Develop industry standard documentation packages, schedules and specifications
- Learn the business of interior design and how to position yourself most effectively in industry
- Graduate with a professionally designed portfolio showcasing your work and talent
Option 1: Day
- 2 days per week – 18 months
- Either Mon/Tues or Wed/Thurs
- 9:30am – 4:30pm
Option 2: Succeed
- 3 days per week – 12 months
- Wed, Thurs & Fri
- 9.30am – 4.30pm
Option 3: Online
- At your own pace within 3 years (usually takes 2 years)
- Visit our partner school Interior Design Online
- Anytime online
- Total Course Fee: $19,900 (GST free)
- You will also need to purchase a Design Kit $595 (GST inc)
Find out more about our flexible payment options here
To enrol into the Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration you will need to firstly attend an Information Session or Open Day to learn more about the school and our courses. Once you have decided which course is for you you will need to book in for an interview.
Students are selected using one or more of the following criteria:
- NSW Higher School Certificate studies (or equivalent) OR completion of relevant vocational training and/or
- Experience working in a relevant industry and/or
- Minimum 6 examples of work from HSC design and technology, visual arts, textiles or other design disciplines
- If you don’t meet the above criteria, please prepare a written submission (1 x A4 typed page) detailing the reasons you want to study interior design and your career aspirations.
Units of study
For the first part of the course you’ll study the same 6 units as our Certificate IV in Interior Decoration (MSF40113). For a complete list of unit competencies click here
MSF7 Interior Communication
Learn the fundamentals of AutoCAD, SketchUp and interior building construction. You’ll create a professional portfolio of drawings for a residential project and give your drawings a professional edge using advanced 3D visualisation techniques.
MSF8 Residential and Small Commercial Design
Extend your research, evaluation, conceptualisation and design skills to complete a range of residential and small commercial design projects including cafes and exhibition spaces.
MSF9 Advanced Colour and Materials
Discover the exciting world of the Colour Professional and develop an understanding of what drives colour trends and forecasting. Draw inspiration from the environment to create dynamic interior, exterior and commercial schemes.
MSF10 Large Commercial Design
Finesse your conceptual and design skills and explore a range of complex commercial design projects including office and training spaces, retail and hospitality design. Professionally present your portfolio using a range of 2D and 3D media.
Ready to take the next step?Apply Now