International Students Frequently Asked Questions WIP

Frequently Asked Questions

Curious about studying as an international student with Sydney Design School? Here’s some of the questions we’re commonly asked. If you need any more information don’t hestitate to call one of our Course Advisors on +61 2 9437 1902 or email

Am I an international or domestic student?

You are a domestic student if you are:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian Permanent Resident (visa status)
  • a New Zealand citizen

You are an international student if you are:

  • a Temporary Resident (visa status) of Australia,
  • a Permanent Resident (visa status) of New Zealand
  • a Resident or Citizen of any other country

How do I apply for a student visa?

To apply for a student visa to study in Australia you will need a Confirmation of Enrolment letter (CoE) from your registered education provider.

Sydney Design School is registered with The Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) which allows us to offer our Certificate IV in Interior Decoration, Diploma and Advanced Diploma of Interior Design courses to overseas students studying, or intending to study, in Australia on student visas.

We send a Confirmation of Enrolment letter (CoE) to students once their application has been successful and they have signed and returned their Letter of Offer and paid their deposit.

To find out more about applying for a student visa please visit the Study in Australia website here.


Can I work while I study?

Yes you can work for up to 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session and unlimited hours in out of session periods.

Work conditions for student visa holders can be found on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website here.


Can I take time off while I study?

Only during school holiday breaks or a leave of absence in the case of compassionate compelling circumstances.

Do you offer English language support?

Sydney Design School recognises that all people learn differently and acknowledges that some students may require additional support. If English is your second language you must provide evidence of an academic score of at least 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test or an equivalent to study with us. If you need additional English language support to complete the course our education team will be on hand to support you.

Can I reduce my study load?

No you must complete the full time study hours specified in your student visa requirements.


Can I chose other courses?

Sydney Design School only offers the Certificate IV in Interior Decoration and the Diploma and Advanced Diploma of Interior Design courses to international students.

What if I miss classes?

Your attendance will be recorded and you must attend 80% of your classes to meet your student visa requirements.

What is a certified copy of my passport?

A certified copy of your passport is a colour photocopy of the original document which has been stamped and signed by a witnessing or government authority (in your own country or in Australia) stating it is a true copy.

Where can I get Overseas Student Health Cover?

Oversea Student Health Cover (OSHC) is required before you apply for your student visa. This is offered by some insurers in Australia under a deed of agreement with the Department of Health to ensure reasonably priced health insurance is available for all international students.

NOTE: You cannot enter Australia until your OSHC starts so we suggest you arrange for this to begin 1 month before you plan to arrive.

For a complete list of these insurers please click here

Do I have to attend orientation?

Yes the International Student Orientation day is obligatory, it’s designed to help you familiarise yourself with our School and the city of Sydney.

Will I need to buy additional materials or books for my studies?

In addition to your course fees you will need to purchase a Design Kit AUD $595 (GST inc) for the start of your course.

Diploma or Advanced Diploma students will need to purchase a 12 month student subscription to SketchUp when they reach Unit 5 (approx AUD $93.50).

Please allow $50 per term for incidental costs eg. photocopying.

How can I pay my fees?

You can pay your deposit via PayPal or credit card online, details of this payment will be sent to you with your Letter of Offer if your application is successful.

Your course fees can be paid in instalments on the first day of every term. For a full list of payments click here.


Do you have student counselling services?

Our team is on hand to support you throughout your studies. You will be able to meet directly with your Student Advisor to discuss any concerns you have.

Where can I find accommodation?

You’ll need to take responsibility for finding your own student accommodation but we are on hand to talk you through your options.

Some things to consider:

  • Costs vary depending on the suburb and type of accommodation
  • Additional expenses may be incurred such as a rental bond, and utilities bills including gas, electricity and internet connection
  • The distance from our campus and accessibility to public transport
  • Easy access to shopping facilities, hospital and other amenities

There are many different types of accommodation available. Here are some links to get you started.

Student-Only Accommodation:

Arundel House

Shared Accommodation:

Flatmate Finders
Easy Roommate

Homestay Accommodation:

Homestay Network
Global Experience
Homestay Plus

For more information about accommodation in Australia visit Study in Australia

Ready to start your application?

Apply Now